Do you know what 5 a day really means? Read on to find out how much fruit and veg makes up your daily recommendation.
What is a portion when it comes to fruit and veg?
A portion is equivalent to 80g (about 3 ounces). The list below offers a rough guide to one portion of some common fruits and vegetables:
- 1 medium sized fruit such as an apple, banana, pear or orange
- A handful of raspberries, cherries or grapes
- 3 heaped tablespoons of beans and pulses, such as kidney beans, butter beans, chickpeas and lentils
- 1 tablespoon of dried fruit
- 2–3 heaped tablespoons of cooked vegetables
- A glass (150ml) of fruit juice, vegetable juice or smoothie
It’s important to remember that potatoes don’t count as a portion of your daily fruit and vegetable because they’re starchy. They are therefore classed as a carbohydrate.